Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Home Security Robo Call Scam

The robo-dialing scam artists are back, this time hawking home security systems instead of car warranties.  As before, they called my business cell phone and followed their standard formula of using a recorded message to get your attention and asking you to press '1' to get further information.  Today's recorded message was meant to scare you using FBI statistics about home break-in's to sell security systems.  They called from (603) 856-0982.

"Joseph" answered when I pressed '1' and represented himself as an employee of the 'Home Security Network' and said they were affiliated with Brinks and ADT.  Joseph knew my phone number and when I asked him where he got it he claimed my cell provider must have given it to them so I could take advantage of their offer. 

"Joseph" was very interested in whether I had a bank account or a credit card and what my credit card score was.  He mentioned an installation fee and monthly management fee but didn't know what the amount of those fees would be.

Alas, "Joseph" hung up on me when I revealed that I was just wasting his time because he called me at work.  I'm sure this is just another scam to get your credit card number and personal information.  Remember folks, nothing good ever came from robo dialers.  Hanging up on them and reporting them to the Ohio Attorney General is the best thing you can do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're up to Oregon from Ohio now, just got this call on my work number and googled the number which led to here. The only robocall I appreciate is the library telling me I have items in.

Anonymous said...

Now doing the rounds in CA. To skype numbers, no less.. damn those telemarketers.. damn them all to hell.

Anonymous said...

I am in Ohio. On February 21, 2012, I received three calls from the same robo caller / spoofer hawking their GE home security system. The recording always starts out: "The FBI says that home breakins ...". This spoofer has called several times within the week. The number and location is always different on my caller id. I tried calling the numbers back and they are disconnected numbers. The first call, today, had a spoofed number of 517-679-0758 Lansing, MI. I pressed "1" to speak to a person and spoke to Tammy. I asked her to remove my number and she hung up on me. I called the number back and a message said that the number had been disconnected and that it belonged to Pacific Telecom Group. Does Pacific Telecom own telephone numbers in Lansing, MI? A couple of hours later, the second call came from the same spoofed number 517-679-0758 (Lansing, MI). This time I pressed "9" to have my number removed from their call list. Twenty minutes later, I received the same robo call from spoofed numner 503-457-1176 (Tillamook, OR). I pressed "9" to have my number removed. LOL. I filled out three complaint forms at www.donotcall.gov. I am on the Do Not Call list. I have been filling out those forms for 3 years now. I also called my telephoe company and told them that they need to come up with some technology to deal with these spoofers. Maybe a "Mark as junk button" would work. The telco suggested that I use call block or change my number. That's the level of intelligence that we are dealing with at the telco's. Call block might work once, but the spoofers keep changing the numbers. If there was a way to block calls from an area code, that might work. I could change my number but the spoofers would probably direct robo calls to the new number.

Anonymous said...

In Texas now... They never give up

Anonymous said...

Just talk and waste their time, i am at war with them

Anonymous said...

I have been getting these calls several times per week for 8 months. Nothing appears to stop them.

I don't know how they can be a legit business, because they won't say who or where they are (quickly hang up) A funny way to sell security systems!

Anonymous said...

I'm getting 2-3 calls a day on my work cell phone. I've told them I'm a renter and can't use their service, I've told them everything.

I'm going to start messing with them.